Maryland License # 0980
District of Columbia License # PSY1000365
Current Clinical Focus
Over 30 years ago, I began practicing with a focus on early identification of children with ADHD and Learning Disabilities. Understanding how children function has helped me to serve adult clients with or without ADHD. When working with a client, my focus is on the growth potential of that individual. As the individual strengths of each client are honored, they are able to address issues of anxiety, depression, and relationship dynamics. Through treatment, the individual begins to build a stronger sense of self and to understand the connection between mental health, physical health and spiritual health.
Collaborative Coach/Child Specialist
Divorce is a common occurrence today and historically the processes that we have offered for divorcing couples have been damaging to families. The Collaborative Divorce is a process of mutual respect and cooperative problem solving that acknowledges that the family will continue to exist in a new form. In the Collaborative Divorce, you will put together a team of professionals to help guide you through the complications that naturally go along with a divorce. As a divorce coach, I will assist you in articulating your goals and the interests that underlie those goals. As the child specialist, I will meet with the children to learn about their developmental needs and to bring their voices into the process of decision making so that your choices will be well informed. Through the collaborative process, you will have opportunity to develop improved communication skills, increased understanding of your children’s needs and assist in transforming your family structure to better meet your goals and interests.
When you request the assistance of a Parent Coordinator, you have come to a place where differences between you can not be resolved without professional help. In all aspects of Parent Coordination, the interests of the child(ren) are primary. I will act to keep that focus primary throughout the discussions. I will also provide a safe forum of mutual respect for continued discussions and endeavor to bring a sense of structure and calm into the discussions. The goal of Parent Coordination is to assist you in making decisions together that will benefit your children.
· A tenured Assistant Professor of Psychology at Towson University in Baltimore, teaching Developmental Psychology
· A Diplomate in the American College of Forensic Psychologists
· President of Vanderhorst & Associates, a multidisciplinary private practice in Baltimore, Maryland, which included psychiatry, psychology, social work, and pastoral counseling
· Director of Child and Adolescent Services at the Chesapeake ADHD Center of Maryland in Silver Spring, Maryland
· NeuroCognitive Therapy
· Family Systems, Post Doctoral Internship at Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
· NeuroAdvantage treatment for ADHD
· Collaborative Dispute Resolution
· Bachelor of Science in Psychology and Math, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Indiana, 1968
· Master of Arts in Experimental Psychology, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Indiana, 1970
· Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology, Bowling Green University, Bowling Green, Ohio, 1974
· Post Doctoral Fellowship in Family Systems, Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, 1982
· American Psychological Association (APA)
· Maryland Psychological Association (MPA)
· Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
· American College of Forensic Examiners International (AFEI)
· International Association of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
· District of Columbia Academy of Collaborative Professionals (DCACP)
· Collaborative Dispute Resolution Professionals (CDRP)
· Christian Association for Psychological Studies (CAPS)
· Washington Independent Services for Educational Resources (WISER)
To invite Dr. Vanderhorst to give a lecture or professional training seminar in your area you may contact her directly at 301-578-8760. Dr. Vanderhorst speaks frequently to parent groups, teacher organizations, and other professionals.